Do you know how to delete Facebook account? With so many social media platforms, it is easy to see why one would be overwhelmed with those ‘digital’ presences. Although Facebook is claimed to be one of the major and most important social media platforms in the world, it doesn’t always affect the majority of the population in a positive way. Some people are getting sick and tired of it – and they simply want to remove it from their lives. Some prefer other platforms that are somewhat more suitable to their preference and requirements. In short, those people want to have their Facebook account removed.
How to Delete Facebook Account – Deletion vs Deactivation
Before we proceed with the ways on how to delete Facebook account, you need to be perfectly clear about deleting or deactivating your Facebook account. If you just want to take a short break, then deactivating the account is probably more suitable for it. But if you want your account to be completely gone – for good – then it would be deleting it. You can also say that deactivating the account only applies for a while – only for a temporary period of time. Once you are done, you can always return to your account and reactivate it. But if you delete the account, it’s gone for good. There is no way to reactivate it or whatsoever.
So, what is the benefit of each way, really? Well, deactivating the account is especially handy when you want to either stay low or take a break from social media. Some people who want to ‘hide’ from the world would take this option. But their ability to return to the online world is still open and they don’t have to create a new account anymore. When your account is being deactivated, your profile will be concealed. No one would be able to see it, but your name still appears on your friends’ lists. Moreover, you are still able to use Facebook Messenger during the deactivation period. In this way, you remain connected to the platform.
On the other hand, when you delete the account, it would be permanent. There is no way that you would be able to reactivate it – no matter how hard you try. It’s because everything related to your account (videos, photos, posts, etc) would be erased from the database and the system. Unlike the deactivation option, you won’t be able to use Messenger anymore. But your messages to your friends will still be visible to them even after you delete your account. But it is them who can still see it, not you.
Deactivate the Account
Although we are learning about how to delete Facebook account, it doesn’t hurt to see the option for deactivating the account. Probably you need deactivation and not deletion. Here are the steps to do it:
- Go to Facebook. On the right top corner, you should see an arrow with downward-facing option. Click on it, and then go with Settings.
- Once you are in Settings, check on the left pane. There is an option ‘Your Facebook Information’. Click on it.
- Once you are done, go with ‘Deactivation and Deletion’
- Make sure to tick the box of ‘Deactivate Account’. Once you have done it, there is a button ‘Continue to Account Deactivation”. You want to click on it.
- When you are taken to the next page, you will have to give the reason why you want to leave Facebook. There are lists of them – you only need to pick one that fits your condition.
- Then you can choose whether you want to keep using Messenger and whether you want to opt-out the use of future emails.
- Once you have filled out the form, click on button ‘Deactivate’
- There is a final warning notification appear. Read the displayed message and make sure you completely understand. If you are ready to deactivate the account, click on ‘Deactivate Now’
- Once this process is done, you will be signed out. Then you will be taken to the page ‘Log into Facebook’
- If you think that your break is over and you want to go back, just log into your account just usual.
Deleting the Account
In how to delete your Facebook account, you may want to consider backing up the information first. The platform has a special tool. It helps you download and get all of your data in a single zip file. You need to go to Settings, and then choose ‘Your Facebook Information’ page. There is an option to ‘Download Your Information’
And here are the next steps that you need to do:
- Open a browser. Open Facebook and go to the Facebook Settings section.
- Click the option ‘Your Facebook Information’
- Choose the option ‘Deactivation and Deletion’ from the available setting lists
- There would be two boxes of options: Deactivate Account and Permanently Delete Account. You want to tick the one on Permanently Delete Account.
- At the bottom, there would be an option ‘Continue to Account Deletion’. Click on it – but only do it if you are completely ready and you have really made your mind
- If you click on it, there would be a warning from Facebook concerning the risks of deleting the account
- You may want to back up the data (any data) that you want to save. And if you are completely sure about your option, click on the button ‘Delete Account’
- On the final step, you will be required to enter your password. Once you type in the information, go with ‘Continue’ button
- There will be one (final) message from the platform. There is information that they still have your profile, data, and information for the next 30 days in the event you change your mind. You need to click ‘Delete Account’ if you want to continue.
- The process is complete. You are signed out and you will be taken to the page ‘Log into Facebook’
- Remember that you still have 30 days to return to your account. Who knows? Maybe you change your mind. Maybe you just realize after a few days that your Facebook account is precious for you. If you want to reinstate the account again, just go to Facebook and log in like usual. Yes, it means that you need to provide the email and password.
Those are the simplest ways to either deactivate or delete your account on Facebook. Now that you really know how to delete your Facebook account, it won’t be an issue anymore, will it?