Why would you want to know about how to delete Skype account? With the abundant of video and voice call functions, Skype is no longer the most popular platform in the world. There are other platforms that are more efficient in the operation and use. And with the growing concern about privacy, government surveillance, and others, it would be wise to delete your Skype account – especially if you no longer use it.
Be advised that Skype account is deeply related to Microsoft account. When you delete the Skype, you will have to delete the Microsoft account. If you still use your Microsoft account, this is the right time to consider your decision – should you delete the Skype account or keep it?
Steps to Delete Skype Account
Keep in mind that these following steps of how to delete Skype account is applicable for desktop setting. Whether you are using Mac or Windows, these steps are applicable and doable.
- When you open Skype account, you need to see the left upper side corner. There is a profile icon displayed there. Simply click it and there will be a drop-down menu. And go with Settings.
- Once you do it, you will open the menu for Account and Profile. There is an option ‘Close Your Account’. Click on it
- Skype will then ask you – it is done to verify the identity. Depending on the information you have given before, they will use that info for the verification. It is possible that you may have to verify the account through SMS or email. Or you have to re-enter the password.
- If you have completed this stage, you will be taken to the next window
- There would be instructions that you must follow – provided that any of them is relevant to you. Since you will have to close your Microsoft account entirely, you may want to take care of some other things.
- Click ‘Next’ only when you are sure that you want to proceed and move on
- On the next page, you will see a series of checklist. It is managed that way so you completely understand the risks of deleting the (Microsoft) account. If you don’t use or have other Microsoft services, the checklist won’t be important to you. But if you do, you may want to read each of them carefully so you can be sure about your action.
- There will be a drop down menu (or My reason isn’t listed) for the reason. Then, click the option ‘Mark Account for Closure’
- You are done
But, you still need to wait for around 60 days for your account to be completely gone. Once 60 days have passed, your Skype account and Microsoft account would be gone for good.
What about deleting Skype account for mobile devices – with either iOS or Android system? Can you also manage it? Unfortunately, the deletion process for mobile isn’t available – or it doesn’t work properly. The best way is to go to the Microsoft account directly or you need to manage the deletion on the desktop. Focus on the desktop instead of the mobile platform.
Delete the Skype Messages
In the event that your Skype account is not active, you may want to clear out the conversations – especially concerning private or sensitive information. Any unused and old apps are sensitive to break in and hacking, especially if the developers stop making updates or if they are able to discover old passwords. It may not be directly related to how to delete Skype account, but it is still about the messages.
Here are the steps to do so if you are using the desktop:
- Go into the conversation within the Skype message – the one that you want to delete. Just click the conversation
- Search for the message you want to remove. There are 3 small dots located next to the message. You should be able to see it when you hover over the message. And then, there will be a drop-down list. Go with the option ‘Remove’ and that’s it!
On the meantime, here are the steps to do so if you are using the mobile platform:
- Go to the tab Chats. Choose the conversation containing the message you want to remove
- Search for the message you want to remove. Hold down your finger on the conversation. Wait for a while until a menu appears. Go with Remove and you shouldn’t be able to see the message anymore.
Steps to Delete Skype Conversations
If you want to remove sensitive or private information, the best way to do so is to delete the conversation history. But when you want to delete the conversation, the people you’ve engaged in the conversations will have to delete the conversation too. When a conversation takes place, both parties (or even more) will have the records. This method will work for your side only. Read Also: How to Delete Facebook Account
The steps to do so on the desktop are:
- Search the conversation you want to remove. Do a right-click and you should be presented with a drop-down list. There is an option ‘Delete’ on it. Click it and the chat would be wiped out.
- That’s it and that’s all!
The steps to do it on mobile devices:
- Go to the tab Chats. Seek out the conversation you want to remove. Then hold down your finger until a popup menu opens up
- Go with Delete option. Once you click on it, your conversation would be gone
Canceling the Subscription
In the event that you use paid Skype service, it is crucial that you cancel the subscription. You don’t want to get the billing continuously – even after you don’t use it for a long time. In a part of how to delete Skype account, these are the ways to manage it:
- Go to Microsoft on the Services and Subscription page.
- Sign into your personal account
- Find the Skype subscription
- Go with Payment and Billing
- Go with the option Cancel
- There would be instructions on the screen. Simply follow them so you can continue with your cancelation
- Once it has been cancelled, you will get a confirmation email
These are some of the possible methods (as well as related topics) to how to delete Skype account – if you are interested in learning more.